JOB TITLE: Engineering Technician (Agricultural)
ANNUAL SALARY: £24,202 – £25,794 depending on experience
Full-Time OR Part-Time: 37 hours per week
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB:
To lead the organisation and operational activity of the engineering workshops at Riseholme College, ensuring all machinery is maintained to a high standard and is available as required by academic teams including Services to Business and the Farm and Equestrian Centre facilities teams. To ensure the engineering facilities at Riseholme Parks and Showground campuses are presented to a professional standard.
Riseholme College is part of Bishop Burton College and the postholder may be required to carry out duties at both campuses.
The following list of duties and responsibilities is not meant to be exclusive. It should be taken as an indicator of the type and level of activity expected of this post. The list does not represent either priorities or frequency of tasks and should be regularly updated by the post holder in consultation with and agreement of their line manager.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise on, and support the procurement of equipment and machinery requirements of new developments (eg the Institutes of Technology) in accordance with College policies and procedures. Commission and implement new equipment and machinery, through discussion with the Curriculum Area Manager.
- Plan and organise the Unit(s) and ancillary facilities: the role is primarily focussed on the day to day operational management of the
- Organise the preparation of equipment required for teaching in all engineering workshops.
- Ensure the maintenance and repair of machinery/equipment in all workshops (for academic use and commercial enterprise).
- Ensure working practices by all staff and students using the workshops are consistent with the Health and Safety at Work Act to a best practice standard, ensuring compliance at all times.
- Ensure risk assessments are in place for all use of machinery and equipment.
- Plan and implement a maintenance schedule for equipment and arrange for the prompt repair of equipment
- Manage the servicing requirements of machinery/resources/equipment, including insurance and Health and Safety requirements e.g. LOLER and VULCAN Inspections
- Ensure staff and students are competent to operate equipment safely
- Plan a replacement schedule for key items of equipment, under the direction of the Curriculum Area Manager
- Maintain a record of work undertaken including that of academic teams
- Establish effective communication processes to ensure coordination of resource requests in line with academic, full cost course and commercial need
- Support third party access to machinery and equipment for external tests and examinations
- Maintain inventories, track resource movement, organise stocktaking and manage records using WASP asset management system
- Maintain levels of spares and consumables in consultation with Curriculum Area Manager
- Have a profile in the engineering community to support employer engagement activities and resource/equipment usage
- Supervise group or single student activities, primarily in a technician role but have flexibility to undertake the role of Practical Instructor.
- Responsible to the Curriculum Area Manager for the administration of the consumables budget in accordance with College policies and procedures.
- Contribute to a sensitive and supportive approach to equality and diversity in liaison with the relevant Assistant Principal.
- Take part in all-staff College open events
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. All staff therefore have a responsibility to promote and safeguard the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults in accordance with the nature of this post. A Disclosure & Barring Service check is carried out for all relevant appointments.
To apply please visit our website: www.riseholme.ac.uk/about-us/vacancies/current-vacancies and download the application form and job description with the person specification. E-mail your completed application form to the HR Team, by the closing date to [email protected] If you have any queries please contact the HR Team at the above email address or telephone 01964 504190.
Closing date: 3 February 2020